Do I need planning permission for an Asgard shed?
We are frequently asked by customers, as to if they need planning permission for putting their Asgard shed in their garden or outside of their house. Well, we are not experts on local planning laws but - You’ll find that in most circumstances, that you won’t need planning permission for an Asgard shed. As our sheds are not classed as permanent structures. However, there are some exceptions, such as conservation areas..
A conservation area will often require approval, and can be based on size, location and even the colour of your shed.
We have also found that some boroughs of London will not let you have a shed at the front of a property without seeking Council Approval.
Some houses will have Permitted Development Right removed - which is common on smaller building plots - this can be confirmed by looking at your property deeds - These can be downloaded via the planning portal.
For a full guide to general planning permissions visit - https://www.planningportal.co.uk
General: Planning Permission and Building Regulation approval isn’t required if:
- Sheds and greenhouses do not cover more than half of the area of the garden; not including the area occupied by the house.
- It contains no sleeping accommodation and the floor area does not exceed 15 square metres.
- No point is less than one metre from a boundary.
- It is not more than 3m high for a flat roof, or 4m with a ridged roof.
- No part projects beyond any wall of the house that faces a road. The outbuilding is for use only by those who occupy the house.
- Building Regulations do state that structures built of combustible material (i.e. a wooden shed) must be at least 2 metres from the main house.
Please note that the information provided is a guide. If you are unsure as to whether or not you’ll need planning permission for a shed, it is always best to check with your local planning office.
Asgard will take no responsibility for customer planning issues. It is the customer’s responsibility to check with the Local Authorities if in doubt.